Have you ever wondered what tools surgeons use to perform such complex surgeries? Surgeons, along with their teams, need the right set of equipment to perform a successful surgery. This equipment plays a significant role in diagnosing, treating, and monitoring patients during and after surgery. Surgical procedures require various specialized tools and instruments, from scalpels and forceps to high-tech imaging equipment. In this blog, we'll look at the equipment used in surgery, including some of the more unusual and unexpected tools you might not have heard of before. So, scrub up and join us as we explore the fascinating world of surgical equipment!
Surgical equipment can be broadly categorized into three categories:-
- Operating Room
- General Surgery Instruments
Surgical instruments comprise the most common and essential equipment used in surgery. Surgical instruments are made of high-quality stainless steel with durability, reusability, and sterilization in mind. During surgery, doctors use these surgical instruments to cut, dissect, grasp, clamp, and hold tissues and organs.
A few of the standard surgical equipment are:
- Forceps are used to hold tissues or organs during surgery, while scissors are used to cut tissues.
- Scalpels are used to make incisions in the skin.
- Retractors hold incisions open, giving the surgeon a clear view of the area being operated on.
- Needle holders are used to hold and manipulate needles during suturing.
Operating Room Instruments
Instruments specialized in supporting the surgical team during the operation procedures are operating room instruments. Even though these equipment are not used regularly they play a vital role in the medical field. A few of the operating room instruments include:
- Surgical lights provide bright and focused light on the surgical site.
- Surgical tables are designed to be adjustable to accommodate different patient positions and surgical procedures.
- Anesthesia machines administer anesthesia to patients during surgery.
- Surgical microscopes provide a magnified view of the surgical site.
General Surgery Instruments
General surgery instruments are the most common and widely used instruments during general or even surgical procedures. Keeping these instruments handy and always sterilized is a necessity. A few of the general surgery instruments are:
- Trocars puncture the skin and create an opening for inserting surgical instruments.
- Endoscopes and laparoscopes are used to visualize and perform surgical procedures inside the body without making large incisions.
- Electrosurgical units are used to cut and coagulate tissues using high-frequency electrical currents.
The Uses of Surgical Instruments
The usage of hospital equipment is varied and depends on the type of surgery being performed. Some surgical instruments are designed for specific procedures, while others are versatile and can be used in multiple surgeries. There are multiple medical equipment that every hospital should have, but these are a few of the surgical instruments that should not be missed in an operation room:
- Forceps hold and manipulate tissues during various surgical procedures. Scissors can be used to cut tissues during procedures such as a tonsillectomy, a hysterectomy, or a cholecystectomy. Punch biopsy forceps is a great stainless and sterilized forceps for medical practitioners. Scalpels are used in multiple procedures, such as a craniotomy, a hernia repair, or cardiac surgery.
- Retractors are essential instruments used in many surgical procedures to hold the incision open and provide a clear view of the surgical site. Many retractors include hand-held retractors, self-retaining retractors, and table-mounted retractors. Self-retaining retractors are particularly useful as they allow the surgeon to work with both hands free, reducing the risk of accidental injury.
- Needle holders are used to hold and manipulate needles during suturing. There are many types of needle holders, including straight, curved, and angled. Straight needle holders are used for suturing straight incisions, while curved needle holders are used for suturing curved or angled incisions. Angled needle holders are used for deep and narrow surgical sites where a straight needle holder cannot reach.
- Surgical lights are crucial equipment in the operating room. They provide bright and focused light on the surgical site, allowing the surgeon to see and perform surgery accurately. Surgical lights come in different shapes and sizes, with adjustable brightness and colour temperature settings. They can be mounted on other parts of the operating room, such as the ceiling or wall, and some are even designed to be mobile for greater flexibility during surgery.
- Surgical tables are another essential piece of equipment in the operating room. They are designed to be adjustable to accommodate different patient positions and surgical procedures. Surgical tables are available in different sizes and shapes, with various attachments and various accessories to support the surgical team during surgery. These attachments and accessories upgrade the table with a lot more features to make the process much easier. They are also designed to be durable, easy to clean, and withstand the patient's and surgical team's weight and pressure.
- Anesthesia machines are used to administer anesthesia to patients during surgery. These machines are also available in different models, with various features and functionalities, depending on the type of surgery being performed. Anesthesia machines are designed to be safe, efficient, and easy to use, with various monitors and alarms to ensure the patient's safety and comfort during surgery.
- Endoscopes and laparoscopes are specialized instruments that visualize and perform surgical procedures inside the body without making large incisions. They are used in various surgical specialties, including gastroenterology, urology, gynecology, and orthopedics. Endoscopes and laparoscopes provide a magnified view of the surgical site, allowing the surgeon to perform surgery precisely and accurately.
- Electrosurgical units are used to cut and coagulate tissues using high-frequency electrical currents. They are used in various surgical procedures, including dermatology, ophthalmology, and plastic surgery. Electrosurgical units come in different types and models, with different modes and settings, to give the surgeon greater control and precision during surgery.
Maintaining medical equipment is also very necessary. Keeping them clean and ensuring they are working correctly is an important task for healthcare practitioners. There are various ways to reduce medical equipment maintenance costs, such as maintaining inventories, entering long-term contracts, etc.
Also Read - 12 Must Have Equipments in ICU
To conclude, surgical equipment is an essential component of any surgical procedure, before purchasing any medical equipment online or from a store, ensure quality and durability. Proper surgical equipment can improve the efficiency, safety, and outcomes of surgical procedures and, ultimately, benefit the patients.